The View From the Great Island
My Jeweled Tabbouleh Salad is a healthy Mediterranean cracked wheat recipe studded with colorful, gem-like dried fruits and nuts. This festive no mayo whole grain salad is perfect for both holiday tables and working lunches alike.
- 2 cups soaked cracked wheat (measure AFTER soaking)
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries (measure AFTER cooking)
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 large bunches WELL WASHED fresh parsley, stems removed, finely minced (I pulsed it in a food process
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 0.5 english cucumber (finely diced)
- 0.5 medium red onion (finely diced)
- 0.5 cup raw pistachios (rough chopped)
- 0.5 cup dried Apricots (finely diced)
- 0.25 cup blanched almonds (rough chopped)
- 0.25 cup golden raisins
- 0.5 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- You will need 2 cups soaked cracked wheat and 2 cups cooked wheat berries. Follow the directions on the packages. Once soaked and cooked, measure out 2 cups each and put in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing by whisking the olive oil and lemon juice together. Pour it over the wheat and toss to combine well. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper. Toss again.
- Add the minced parsley, mint, cucumber, and red onion, toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Toss the salad again, and taste to adjust any of the seasonings. When you are ready to serve, top with the 'jewels'. Garnish with a few mint or parsley leaves.