Kale Sweet Potato Chowder
You will never believe this Sweet Potato Kale Chowder Recipe is secretly healthy! Find out the secret trick for thick and creamy dairy-free soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 cups sweet potato cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch smoked paprika or pimenton
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 leaves kale (de-stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces)
- ¼ cup parsley
- Add the peeled red potatoes to a small sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Boil for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are boiling, add the olive oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add in the carrots, celery, bell pepper, and sweet potato. Sauté until the celery is translucent and the other vegetables have started to soften.
Add in 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, and the smoked paprika. Cook until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, add the boiled potatoes, and their cooking water, into a blender. Add in the coconut milk and blend until smooth.
Pour into the soup and simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and add in the kale and parsley. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted. Spoon into bowls and serve.
View the recipe instructions at Catching Seeds