Leek Tart with Za'atar Crust
This Leek Tart with Za'atar Crust is filled with creamy hummus and surrounded by a gluten free crust. It is an easy recipe that is sure to impress.
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup oat flour
- 0.5 cup sorghum flour
- 0.25 cup za'atar
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks (cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds)
- 1 cup plain hummus
- 0.5 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- In a small bowl whisk together the flaxseeds and water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the oat flour, sorghum flour, and salt. Add in the coconut oil and pinch into the flour with your finger tips. Continue until the coconut oil and flour have formed pea sized clumps. Add in the flax seed mixture and apple cider vinegar. Work into the dough with a spoon. Once incorporated, add in enough cold water until the dough holds together and all of the flour is moistened.
- Prep a tart shell with a removable bottom by lightly spraying it with coconut oil. Crumble the dough into the tart shell and gently press it into the pan. Place the formed tart into the fridge to chill for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the dough is resting, add the olive oil into a sauté pan over medium heat. Add in the leeks, cut side down. Cook until the bottom side is caramelized, about 5-10 minutes. Gently flip the leeks so that the second cut side is facing down and brown the second side. Remove the leeks form the heat and set aside.
- Remove the tart from the fridge and generously prick the crust with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust just starts to cook. Remove and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Increase the oven to 450 degrees. Once the crust has cooled, spread the hummus onto the crust in an even layer. Top with the leek rounds, pressing them into the hummus. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove and let the tart cool to room temperature and then serve.