Lemon Glazed Zucchini Walnut Scones
The View From the Great Island
These easy Lemon Glazed Zucchini Walnut Scones make a wonderful addition to a fall breakfast or brunch ~ and a nice change from zucchini bread or muffins!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 0.75 cup buttermilk
- i heaping cup shredded zucchini
- 0.66666666666667 cups chopped walnuts plus a few extra for topping
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- juice of 1 large lemon
- Set oven to 400F
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mix resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pulse in the zucchini and walnuts, just until distributed.
- Mix the buttermilk with the vanilla.
- While pulsing, drizzle in the buttermilk. Remove the dough to a floured surface and bring together with floured hands. If it is very wet, add a touch more flour. Form into a 7-8 inch disk and cut into 8 triangles.
- Arrange the scones 2 inches apart on a baking sheet, and put the pan in the freezer while you clean up.
- Bake the scones for 20-25 minutes, until they are risen and just starting to turn golden.
- Cool on a rack completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk or stir the sugar together with enough lemon juice to make a spreadable glaze.
- Spread each of the scones with the glaze and top with a few chopped walnuts.