Lemon Panna Cotta
The View From the Great Island
This light Lemon Panna Cotta is the perfect early spring dessert, it's no-bake, super simple, and easy to adjust for dairy free and vegan!
- the zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 envelope powdered gelatin
- 0.25 tsp lemon extract
- Wash the lemons well. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the rinds from the lemons. You only want the yellow part, not the bitter white.
- Pour the cream and the milk into a saucepan and stir in the sugar until it is dissolved. Add the lemon rinds to it and heat it just until it almost comes to a boil. Turn off the heat and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Strain the cream mixture and put back in the pan. Stir in the juice from both lemons, you'll notice that the cream will thicken.
- Pour 1/4 cup of cold water in a small cup and sprinkle on the gelatin. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften and then stir.
- Meanwhile, reheat the cream mixture to just below a simmer. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the gelatin, stirring until it is completely dissolved. Stir in the extract.
- Pour the cream mixture into small jars, bowls, or cups. Refrigerate until completely firm. Depending on the size of your cups, this may take 2-3 hours. You can do this ahead of time, and let it sit there.
- When you are ready to serve, garnish with berries, fruit cut outs, and a few edible blossoms.
- Serve cold.