I Heart Eating
Hearty lentil bolognese makes an easy pasta sauce that's full of good-for-you ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1 rib celery (finely chopped)
- 3 carrots (large, peeled and chopped)
- 7 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 ounce tomato paste (can)
- 15 ounce tomato sauce (can)
- 2 ounce diced italian tomatoes (can)
- 2 tablespoons dried sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups red lentils (rinsed and picked over)
- 2 cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot.
- Cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste, and cook, stirring it in, for 1 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, basil, oregano, baking soda, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in lentils and water.
- Simmer, stirring regularly, until lentils have softened, about 20-30 minutes.
View the recipe instructions at I Heart Eating