Lucky Black-eyed Pea Salad for the New Year!
The View From the Great Island
A Lucky Black-eyed Pea Salad for the New Year ~ this healthy high fiber bean salad is vegan, gluten free, and so delicious!
- 1 small head raddichio lettuce (shredded)
- 2 small heads of Gem lettuce, trimmed and leaves separated
- 15-ounce ounce can black-eyed peas (or 1 3/4 cups home cooked)
- 0.25 cup finely minced red onion
- 0.5 cup diced sweet bell pepper, assorted colors
- 0.25 cup black olives (diced)
- 0.25 pimento stuffed green olives (sliced)
- 0.25 cup diced Persian cucumber (don't peel)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp Meyer lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tsp freshly minced rosemary (don't use dried)
- 1 tsp creamy dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Choose a wide shallow salad bowl and lay down a base of lettuce leaves and shredded raddichio.
- Put the salad dressing ingredients in a mason jar, put on the lid, and shake until it emulsifies. (That means it becomes cloudy and doesn't separate) Taste it and add adjust to your liking.
- In a mixing bowl add the rest of the salad ingredients, and toss with enough dressing to moisten. Season with salt and pepper if you like.
- Spoon the bean salad on top of the lettuces, and serve.