Mexican Chicken And Rice
This rice ʼnʼ spicy chicken bake is hot, tasty and filling
- 8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion (large, finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 300 g dried basmati rice
- 2 red peppers (deseeded thinly sliced)
- 650 ml chicken stock (hot)
- 400 g can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 200 g frozen peas
- handful fresh parsley (finely chopped, to serve)
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Spray the chicken with low-calorie cooking spray. Place a large frying pan over a high heat and fry the chicken for 6-8 minutes, until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Lower the heat and spray the pan with more low-calorie cooking spray. Fry the onion for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, chilli flakes and rice, and fry for 1 minute.
- Spoon the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish. Add the chicken, pepper and stock. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until most of the stock has been absorbed.
- Stir in the kidney beans and peas. Cover and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked. Scatter with the parsley and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
View the recipe instructions at www.slimmingworld.co.uk