DIY Instant Fruit and Nut Oatmeal
The View From the Great Island
DIY Instant Fruit and Nut Oatmeal is vegan, gluten free, and an absolute pleasure to wake up to! Get your morning off to a great start with this quick and easy breakfast bowl.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 0.5 cup whole raw hazelnuts
- 0.5 cup raw pecan halves
- 0.5 cup dry milk powder
- 0.25 cup brown sugar
- 0.75 tsp salt
- 1 heaping cup chopped assorted dried fruit
- 0.25 cup pepitas
- 0.25 cup freshly ground flax seed
- Set oven to 350F
- Spread the oats and the nuts on an un-greased baking sheet. Toast for about 10-15 minutes.
- Let the oats and nuts cool, then pulse a few times in a food processor to lightly chop.
- Mix with the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To serve, scoop out about 3/4 cup of the mixture, and add enough boiling water (or scalded milk) to just cover the oatmeal. Stir and let sit, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add a splash of milk, half and half, almond or coconut milk for an extra treat.