Moroccan-Inspired Chickpea Stew
This vegetarian recipe is full of flavor and a perfect dish to share with others. The flavors are bold and unique yet not overpowering for children at the table who prefer a more traditional American cuisine. Don't be scared away by the lengthy list of ingredients, this stew really comes together quickly! We love the fact that this whole food recipe is packed full of protein, and leaves your stomach full and satisfied! Find more healthy recipes at www.groundedandsurrounded.com/
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 2 carrots (large, chopped)
- 2 celery (large, chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 32 oz vegetable stock (box)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 15 oz chickpeas (can, garbanzo beans, rinsed)
- 1 tbsp ground tumeric
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 2 cups greens (spinach or chard, roughly chopped)
- Saute the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in butter until softened.
- Add tomato sauce, 2 cups vegetable broth and lentils then simmer with lid on until lentils are soft and begin to thicken the broth. Most of the liquid will be absorbed and the mixture will be thick. Usually takes about 20 minutes.
- Now add in the remaining 2 cups vegetable broth and chickpeas. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add all spices including salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Lastly, add cherry tomatoes, chopped greens and any additional salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before you serve.
View the recipe instructions at happihomemade.com