My Favorite Easy Pear Crisp (gluten-free and regular recipes)
The View From the Great Island
This easy Pear Crisp is prepped in minutes, and emerges browned and bubbling out of the oven just begging for a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 pounds ripe but firm pears, any variety, I used Bartlett
- juice of half a lemon
- 0.25 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 0.25 cup rolled oats
- 0.5 cup packed brown sugar
- 0.25 cup white sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- 0.5 tsp ground cardamom
- 0.5 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Set the oven to 350F
- Wash the pears, there is no need to peel them. Trim off the top and bottom, and slice in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the core, and chop into small chunks. Put in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the dry topping ingredients to a bowl and toss with the melted butter until well combined. I used my (clean) hands to do this.
- Put the fruit in the bottom of your baking dish and spread out evenly. Top with the crumble mixture. It is ok to mound the fruit and topping a bit because there will be shrinkage in the oven.
- Put the baking dish on a baking sheet to catch any juicy drips. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until browned on top and bubbling throughout. Cover loosely with foil if the topping seems to be browning too quickly.