Traditional dessert with a chocolate twist - this Nutella-Nut Baklava is great to dessert to serve choco-holics or dessert lovers.
- 24 phyllo Sheets (about 1½ packs)
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Thaw frozen phyllo sheets according to package instructions. I kept them in the fridge overnight. Then put the package on the counter about 1 hour before making the baklava. Make sure to leave them in the package, they will dry out if left out.
- Toast all the nuts until fragrant, about 4~5 minutes. Let cool and grind in a food processor until fine. Set aside.
- Melt butter and keep ready.
- Microwave Nutella until spreadable and keep ready.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush melted butter on a 10"x15" baking pan. If using 9"x13" pan, you might have to cut the phyllo pastry a little bit to fit the pan.
- Place one phyllo sheet in the baking pan and brush with melted butter. Place another sheet and brush with butter. Repeat until you have 6 layers of phyllo. Spread 1/3 of the Nutella on top and sprinkle with 1/3 of the nut mixture.
- Repeat the layering process: 6 sheets of phyllo (each brushed with butter) + Nutella + Nuts.
- So in the end this is how the baklava should be: 1. 6 sheets of phyllo (each brushed with butter) + Nutella + Nuts 2. 6 sheets of phyllo (each brushed with butter) + Nutella + Nuts 3. 6 sheets of phyllo (each brushed with butter) + Nutella + Nuts 4. 6 sheets of phyllo (each brushed with butter)
- Brush the top most layer of phyllo with butter. Using a sharp knife cut the phyllo into squares or diamonds. Bake for 35 minutes or until the phyllo pastry is golden brown on top and crispy around the edges.
- While Baklava is baking make the syrup. Combine water, honey and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan, bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5~7 minutes. Turn off the stove and keep ready.
- Once the baklava comes out of the oven, pour the warm syrup evenly over the baklava. Set aside for 3~4 hours for the flavors to mingle. Enjoy!!