The View From the Great Island
Dessert for breakfast? Oatmeal Brulee is an easy way to treat yourself in the morning!
- 2 cups milk (any type, including almond, coconut or soy, I used full fat dairy milk)
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp granulated sugar (regular granulated white sugar caramelizes best)
- cream or half and half for garnish (optional)
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until little bubbles form around the edges and add the oats. Cook gently for about 5 minutes until the oatmeal is thickened.
- Stir in the cinnamon and vanilla and spoon into two serving bowls.
- Smooth out the top of each bowl with the back of a spoon for form a flat surface for the sugar.
- Evenly sprinkle 2 teaspoons of sugar over each bowl
- Use a kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar, moving the flame in circles as the sugar turns color. Keep heating until the entire surface is browned and you start to see small black spots.
- Serve hot with a dash of cream.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island