Overnight Steel Cut Oats with Whiskey Butter
The View From the Great Island
AUTHENTIC IRISH Overnight Steel Cut Oats with Whiskey Butter ~ this whole grain porridge is the perfect fall and winter breakfast or brunch dish.
Serves 2 generously
- 3½ cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- whiskey butter
- 1 stick, 1/2 cup, unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ounce Irish whiskey
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste (or the seeds of 1/2 a vanilla bean, or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the salt, and take off the heat.
- Stir in the oats, and blend well. Cover and set aside for 6 hours, or overnight.
- In the morning, reheat the oatmeal with some cream or milk if you like. Stir until hot and thick.
- Serve with extra milk or cream, some brown sugar, and a pat of whiskey butter.
- To make the whiskey butter cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the whiskey and vanilla until everything is smoothly combined.
- Spoon the butter into a crock or cup and refrigerate until firm.