Paleo Chicken Tikka Masala
The Honey Blonde
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can (1 ½ cups) coconut milk
- 1 juice of lemon
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
- 1 small Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 oz 14.5 can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus sprigs for garnish
- Mix together garlic, garam masala, paprika, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cardamom, and red pepper. In a shallow dish, whisk together half of the can of coconut milk, half of the spice mixture, lemon juice, and salt. Place cubed chicken in the dish and spoon the marinade over the chicken to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Store the other half of the spice mixture in an airtight container.
Heat ghee in a large pot or skillet. Add onion, tomato paste, and spice mixture and cook until tomato paste has darkened and onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes with juices and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, making sure to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom. Cook for about 10 minutes until sauce is thickened.
Then add in remaining coconut milk and cook for another 20 minutes. Meanwhile, while the sauce is thickening, preheat the broiler on high. Line a baking sheet with foil and place chicken in a single layer on the sheet.
Broil the chicken until it starts to blacken in areas. Turn to blacken the other side. About 10 minutes. Then add the chicken to the sauce and let simmer until chicken is cooked through. Stir in cilantro. Serve over cauli-rice.
View the recipe instructions at The Honey Blonde