Portobello Fries with Meyer Lemonnaise
The View From the Great Island
Portobello Fries with Meyer Lemonnaise --- mushrooms lightly coated in a buttermilk batter and fried until crispy make a fabulous appetizer or side dish.
- vegetable oil
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- of salt
- meyer Lemonnaise
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- juice from 2 Meyer lemons
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Heat several inches of oil to 340F in a deep pot. Use a thermometer for accuracy.
- Meanwhile, mix the buttermilk, flour and salt together to make a batter. It should have the consistency of a thick pancake batter.
- When the oil is hot, coat the mushrooms in the batter, shaking off any excess, and fry, in batches, until golden brown and crispy. Flip the mushrooms over in the oil a couple of times. This will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms on paper towels.
- To make the Lemonnaise, whisk the mayo and the lemon juice together until smooth. Add a pinch of salt, and lots of fresh cracked black pepper. The sauce will be on the thin side.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island