Portobello Shepherd’s Pies
The View From the Great Island
Portobello Shepherd's Pies takes a favorite comfort meal and lightens it up in a fun and creative way, who doesn't love a big juicy portobello mushroom?
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 tbsp finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 0.5 yellow onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 heaping Tbsp flour
- 8 oz beef broth
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 5 or 6 large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 large russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cut in large chunks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 0.5 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set oven to 375F
- Put the potatoes in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with the butter and milk until smooth and creamy. Add more milk if necessary, and add salt and pepper to taste. I use my hand held electric beaters for this. Cover and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef and 2 tablespoons of the rosemary in a skillet, taking care to break up the meat into a fine crumble as it cooks. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook over medium heat until starting to brown. Add a touch of olive oil if the pan is too dry. Remove the onions to the plate with the meat.
- Add 2 Tbsp butter to the pan and let it melt. Stir in the flour and stir for a couple of minutes until it turns a nice brown. Scrape up all the bits from the bottom of the skillet as you stir.
- Add the beef stock to the pan, whisking briskly to combine everything, and cook until it thickens.
- Add the beef and onions back into the pan, draining off any excess fat before you add it, and taste to adjust your seasoning.
- Meanwhile dust off the mushrooms and remove the stems. Carefully scrape out the gills with a spoon so that you have a nice space to put the meat.
- If the mushrooms are very large, put them on a dry baking tray and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes. Then fill each mushroom with the meat mixture.
- Top each mushroom with a generous amount of mashed potato and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes until everything is hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately with a generous sprinkling of fresh rosemary and a side of boiled peas!