Probiotic Vegan Cashew Spread
This Probiotic Vegan Cashew Spread makes making your own vegan cheese spread easy. Use cashews and probiotic capsules for a gluten-free delicious spread.
- 1 cup Cashews
- ½ cup water
- pinch of salt
- 2 probiotic capsules (we used Waya Forte)
- optional: chives
- Pre-soak cashew nuts in 1 cup water for 4-6 hours. Once done soaking, discard the water and wash the nuts thoroughly.
- Add cashew nuts to a high speed blender. Add a dash of water and a pinch of salt and mix until smooth. Depending how thick or thin you want your spread, add more water while mixing.
- Transfer the cashew spread into a clean glass jar. Open 2 probiotic capsules and drop the powder into the cashew mixture. Stir well to combine using a wooden or ceramic spoon (not metal!). Cover the jar with a clean cheese cloth or kitchen towel and set aside on the kitchen counter to ferment for 24-48 hours, depending on the room temperature (it will ferment faster in a warm room).
- After the allotted time there should be air pockets in the cashew mixture. Taste the mixture if it is to your liking. The taste should be slightly sour, like a yogurt, and the smell pleasant.
- Once the cashew spread is ready, you can keep it in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
- You can serve the spread as is, or add some finely chopped chives or other herbs, which will add more flavor to the spread.
View the recipe instructions at Vibrant Plates