Probiotic Vegan Cashew Spread
This Probiotic Vegan Cashew Spread makes making your own vegan cheese spread easy. Use cashews and probiotic capsules for a gluten-free delicious spread.
- 1 cup Cashews
- ½ cup water
- pinch of salt
- 2 probiotic capsules (we used Waya Forte)
- optional: chives
- Pre-soak cashew nuts in 1 cup water for 4-6 hours. Once done soaking, discard the water and wash the nuts thoroughly.
- Add cashew nuts to a high speed blender. Add a dash of water and a pinch of salt and mix until smooth. Depending how thick or thin you want your spread, add more water while mixing.
- Transfer the cashew spread into a clean glass jar. Open 2 probiotic capsules and drop the powder into the cashew mixture. Stir well to combine using a wooden or ceramic spoon (not metal!). Cover the jar with a clean cheese cloth or kitchen towel and set aside on the kitchen counter to ferment for 24-48 hours, depending on the room temperature (it will ferment faster in a warm room).
- After the allotted time there should be air pockets in the cashew mixture. Taste the mixture if it is to your liking. The taste should be slightly sour, like a yogurt, and the smell pleasant.
- Once the cashew spread is ready, you can keep it in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
- You can serve the spread as is, or add some finely chopped chives or other herbs, which will add more flavor to the spread.