Quinoa Corn and Black Bean Stuffed Poblanos
From a Chef's Kitchen
Quinoa Corn and Black Bean Stuffed Poblano Peppers are the best kind of vegetarian comfort food! Protein-rich quinoa, corn, black beans, stuffed into smoky roasted peppers with a green chile sauce and plenty of CHEESE!
- cooking spray
- 8 large Poblano peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 large ear of corn, husk and silk removed (or 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed)
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans
- 1 can (4-ounce) diced green chiles
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded Pepperjack, Monterey jack or white Cheddar (divided)
- 1 can (15-ounce) green enchilada sauce
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place Poblanos on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, rubbing it over the peppers. Roast for 20-25 minutes or just until lightly browned. (You don't want them overly soft or they'll be difficult to work with.) Let cool. Leave oven at 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the ear of corn for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a ice bath to cool. Blot dry and shave off the kernels into a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Let cool briefly then transfer to bowl with the corn. Add the quinoa, black beans, green chiles, cilantro and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Carefully cut open each pepper and remove the seeds and membrane, leaving the top intact.
- Fill each pepper with equal amounts of the filling and place in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour enchilada sauce over poblanos and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 30-35 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue to bake another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen