Rhubarb Crisp with Cardamom and Vanilla
The View From the Great Island
Rhubarb Crisp with Cardamom and Vanilla ~ I hate to sound bossy but you just have to make this gluten free rhubarb crisp at least once this spring, it's too good to miss out on.
- 1 pounds rhubarb ( trimmed and rinsed)
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 juice of lemon
- crisp topping
- ½ cup light brown sugar (not packed)
- ½ cup oat flour (you can use almond or regular flour as well, or a good gluten free baking mix)
- of salt
- ½ tsp cardamom (sub cinnamon if you like)
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter (cold)
- ⅓ cup walnuts (or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Slice the rhubarb into small slices and add them to a bowl. If your rhubarb is very stringy, remove the tough outer fibers before slicing.
- Toss the rhubarb with the lemon juice and sugar, and then scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean in, too. Stir to combine, then cover and set aside to allow the juices to start to flow.
- Make the crisp topping by putting all the ingredients in a food processor and pulsing until the mixture is crumbly.
- Put the rhubarb in the bottom of a medium size oval gratin dish (mine is 8x10) or a 9x9 square baking dish. Top liberally with the crisp topping ~ you might not need all the topping if using a square pan. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the rhubarb is bubbling and the topping is golden.
- Dig in right away, with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if you like.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island