Rhubarb Crumb Bars
The View From the Great Island
These easy Rhubarb Crumb Bars are the very first thing I bake when I see the first rhubarb of the season. The tangy rhubarb filling sandwiched between a butter oat crumb crust is irresistible!
- rhubarb filling
- 1 lb rhubarb
- 0.5 cup granulated sugar
- 0.25 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- for the crust
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (you can substitute cinnamon)
- 0.75 cups (1 1/2 sticks) butter. cut in pieces
- Set oven to 350F
- Rinse and trim the ends off the rhubarb stalks. Slice them in 1 inch pieces and put in a heavy pot. Toss with the sugar, lemon juice, and water. Stirring constantly, bring the mix to a boil and cook until the rhubarb has broken down and the mixture is thick. Add a little more water if needed as it cooks if it gets too thick. This will take about 20 minutes or so. You can puree it if you want a smooth texture, I used an immersion blender and pulsed a few times to get any larger lumps, but some texture is fine. Stir in the vanilla and set aside to cool.
- To make the crust, put the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add in the butter and pulse until the mix has a texture of coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the mixture and press the rest into a buttered 9x13 baking pan. Pat down the crust and level it out.
- Spread the filling evenly over the crust, and then crumble the remaining dough over the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Cool before cutting.