Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
The View From the Great Island
Slow Cooker Mulled Wine ~ this warming winter cocktail scents the whole house, and guests can help themselves!
- harvest Mulled Wine
- 1 bottle red wine
- 0.5 cup water
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 0.25 cup brandy
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp whole allspice berries
- 4 star anise
- 0.5 tsp whole cloves
- 5 whole cardamom pods, lightly crushed with the back of a spoon to expose the seeds
- 0.5 vanilla bean, slit down the center (if you save pods this is a good time to reuse one)
- a good grating of fresh nutmeg (about 1/4 tsp)
- 8 clementines, cut in half (remove any seeds)
- garnish each glass with a cinnamon stick and a star anise
- holiday Mulled Wine
- switch out the clementines for 1/2 cup cranberry juice and 1/2 cup whole fresh cranberries
- add 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- garnish each glass with a sprig of rosemary and a few cranberries
- Put the water and sugar in the crock pot and turn on high. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Juice 4 of the clementines and add to the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and heat until the wine just gets to a simmer. Then turn the dial to the 'keep warm' setting and let it sit for about 30 minutes before serving.
- You can strain the wine before serving, or not.
- For the Holiday version, the process is the same, omit the clementines and use cranberries and rosemary.