Spanakorizo or Greek Spinach rice is a simple and comforting dish that is easy to make and delicious. The fresh herbs add tons of flavor to this amazing.
- 1 cup Long grain Rice (I used Basmati rice)
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach (or use a 8oz. bag of baby spinach chopped)
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh mint (chopped)
- cup almond meal (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- to taste Salt Pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- Wash and rinse rice. Soak in water for about 30 minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a pan, add the red pepper flakes, onion and crushed garlic. Cook for 3~4 minutes until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook for 3~4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the dry mint and dill. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Drain the rice and stir into the pan. Add 1¾cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook till the water evaporates from the surface. Reduce the flame to low and cook covered till all of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 5~6 minutes.
- Set the pan aside covered for 5 minutes before fluffing and serving.