Sweet Walla Walla Onion Rings
The View From the Great Island
Walla Walla, Vidalia, Maui, or any generic sweet onions will do for these epic Sweet Walla Walla Onion Rings with Basil Buttermilk Dip!
- 1 walla Walla Onion
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 0.5 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp onion salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- basil Buttermilk Dip
- 0.5 cup buttermilk
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the onions and slice them thickly, about 1/2 inch. Gently separate the slices into rings, and don't discard the little center pieces.
- Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl and add the onions. Stir to coat.
- Pour oil to a depth of several inches into a pan. I used about a quart of oil Heat to 350F.
- In a large zip lock baggie, put the flour, breadcrumbs, and onion salt, and mix well.
- When the oil is hot, drop a few of the onion rings into the baggie and toss to coat well.
- Add the onion rings to the hot oil and fry until golden, about 2 minutes, flipping once or twice. Work in small batches so you don't crowd the pan.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve hot with dip.
- To make the dip, put the buttermilk in a small food processor or blender, and add the basil leaves and lemon juice. Process just until the basil is well incorporated. Add the seasonings to taste.