The Watermelon Gin Rickey
The View From the Great Island
The Watermelon Gin Rickey ~ a super refreshing summer cocktail made with fresh juicy watermelon.
- 2 Coriander seeds
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) Bombay Sapphire Gin
- 2 oz (1.25l) fish stock (1/4 cup) fresh watermelon juice (directions below)
- 0.5 oz fresh squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
- club soda or sparkling water to top up
- for garnish
- mint leaves
- watermelon spear
- To make the watermelon juice put 1 lb of roughly chopped watermelon (this will be approximately half of a mini watermelon) into a blender or food processor. Blend until pureed. Pour the puree through a sieve, and let sit in the refrigerator to drain. Don't push the pulp through, just let it drain. It will yield about 1 1/2 cups of juice.
- Put the coriander seeds at the bottom of a cocktail shaker and crush lightly,
- Add the gin, lime juice and 1/4 cup of the watermelon juice. Add ice and shake.
- Pour over fresh ice and top up the glass with club soda or sparkling water.
- Garnish with mint and a watermelon spear.