Vegan Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce
Vegan Bread Pudding with dried fruit and homemade butterscotch sauce. Bread soaked in non-dairy milk custard and baked off until golden and delicious.
- 0.5 cup vegan Butter
- 0.5 cup Coconut Sugar or Vegan Brown Sugar
- 0.5 cup Vegan Creamer (I used almond-coconut creamer)
- 0.5 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy Milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- of salt
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch or Arrowroot powder
- 6 cups French or Sourdough bread (cubed)
- 1 cup dates (or dried apricots, raisins etc)
- 0.5 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1¾ cups almond milk (or other non-dairy Milk)
- 0.5 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 0.25 cup Coconut Sugar or Vegan Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- 0.25 tsp salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the coconut sugar, creamer, non-dairy milk and agave syrup. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Whisk corn syrup in 2tbsp milk; add this to the butter mixture. Whisking continuously cook for 1~2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool. This can be made up to 1 week in advance and chilled in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 8" square baking pan or a 8~10" cast iron skillet or 6~8 8oz. ramekins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, dates, raisins (or other dry fruit) and walnuts (if using).
- In a medium bowl, combine non-dairy milk, applesauce, coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and ½cup of the butterscotch sauce. Add this mixture to the bread mixture and stir until combined. Soak for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan(s). Bake for 30~40 minutes (or 20~25 minutes for ramekins), until the top is set and beginning to turn golden brown. Remove and let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of the remaining butterscotch sauce. Enjoy!!