Vegan Tomato Basil Cream Pasta
A creamy tomato and basil pasta! An easy dinner recipe with 10 ingredients that takes about 30 minutes to cook. Gluten free if gluten free pasta is used.
- 225 g farfalle pasta (uncooked, bow tie)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (small, diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 500 g tomatoes (ripe, diced into small pieces)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup fresh basil (packed, chopped)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach (or rocket, to serve, optional)
- nutritional yeast (to serve, optional)
- Cook your pasta according to the package instructions, but leave the pasta just slightly undercooked. Drain and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium to high heat. When hot, add onion and cook for 4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for a further minute. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Place on a high simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. It will cook down and become richer in flavour.
- Add the tomato mixture to a high speed blender along with cashews and 1/2 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Rinse and dry the frying pan. Add the sauce to the pan, making sure it’s on low to medium heat to prevent it from sticking. Add the pasta, basil and pepper to taste. When the pasta is heated through, it’s ready to serve. I like to serve mine on top of a handful of greens and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
View the recipe instructions at amylecreations.com