Vegetable Barley Soup
From a Chef's Kitchen
Vegetable Barley Soup is packed with vegetables and barley in a tomatoey broth that's both healthful and soul-satisfying!
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 bag
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 cups vegetable, chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups tomato or vegetable juice
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt to the water, add the barley and boil until the barley is tender but still al dente. Drain through a sieve and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often 5-6 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Add the celery and carrots and cook another 5-6 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook 2 minutes,
- Add zucchini, yellow squash, coleslaw mix, garlic, broth, juice, tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover slightly and simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 25-30 minutes. Add the barley, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Adjust seasoning as desired.