Vidalia Onion Strings with Horseradish Ketchup
The View From the Great Island
Simple to make, impossible to resist, Easy Onion Strings are the ultimate appetizer!
- 1 vidalia onion
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- horseradish ketchup
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp cream style horseradish
- Pour at least 4 inches of oil into a medium sized pot. Heat it over medium heat until it reaches about 350F
- Slice the very top off the onion and peel just the outer layer of skin, leaving the root end intact. Slice it on the 1/8 inch setting of a mandolin slicer. Gently separate the slices into individual rings.
- Whisk the flour and the salt together in a bowl. Working in batches, toss the onions into the flour and coat completely. Shake off excess and drop into the hot oil. If you are not using a thermometer, drop in a test onion...if the oil is at the correct temperature, the onion should fry to a golden crispiness in about two minutes. If it browns immediately, the oil is too hot. If it doesn't turn golden in two minutes, it needs to be hotter. Remove the onions to a paper towel while you do the rest.
- Serve right away, with horseradish ketchup on the side.
- To make the ketchup, blend the two ingredients together.