Wholewheat Pita Bread
Wholewheat pita bread made with wholewheat flour. These soft and fluffy flatbread balloon perfectly and the pocket is great to be filled with falafel.
- 1 cups Wholewheat Flour
- 1 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients; mix and knead until a soft, pliable dough forms -- about 8 minutes by hand or 5 minutes in the mixer. You may have to add a little more flour, but don't add too much as the wholewheat flour tends to absorb liquid as they develop.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise until doubled in volume, about 1½ hours,
- Place a baking stone on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and cut it in the half. Divide one half into 4 equal pieces and form each into a ball. Let the balls rise for 10 minutes, covered, while dividing the second half of dough in the same way.
- Roll out each dough into a 6" diameter circle and less than ¼" thick. Place the rolled pitas 2 at a time on the hot baking stone. It should take 3~4 minutes for the pitas to puff up.
- Turn them once while they're baking to cook the pitas evenly on both sides. Remove the pitas from the oven and repeat with the remaining pitas. Stack the warm pitas together in a kitchen towel.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout