Wild Blueberry Ice Cream
The View From the Great Island
This Wild Blueberry Ice Cream is made with sour cream for a luscious tangy flavor ~ and I use frozen berries, so you don't have to live in Maine to make it!
- 2 heaping cups frozen wild blueberries (you can also use fresh)
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 ounces sour cream
- juice of lemon (optional)
- Put the berries and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and cook for about 5 minutes, just until the berries have released juice and softened.
- Puree the mixture. I used my Vitamix blender for an extra smooth puree. Refrigerate the puree until chilled.
- Blend together the sour cream, the cold blueberry puree, and the lemon juice, if using, until completely smooth.
- Process the mixture in your ice cream machine, according to the manufacturer's directions. Mine takes about 20 minutes to get to a soft serve stage.
- Spoon the soft ice cream into a loaf pan or plastic tub, cover tightly, and put in the freezer to firm up. I like to leave it for at least 5 to 6 hours.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island