Zucchini Blondies with Penuche Fudge Frosting
The View From the Great Island
Zucchini Blondies with Penuche Fudge Frosting are decadent and delicious, don't let the green veggie fool you!
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup shredded zucchini (packed)
- ½ cup Chopped Nuts (I used walnuts and pecans)
- penuche frosting
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cream, or milk
- 1½ cups powdered (confectioner's) sugar, sifted
- Set oven to 350F
- Start with the blondies. Beat the butter and brown sugar sugar together for a couple of minutes until well blended and the color lightens a bit. Work out any sugar lumps.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Fold in the flour, and then the zucchini and nuts. Mix just until well blended, don't over-mix.
- Turn the batter into a greased 9x9 square baking pan. I line mine with parchment with long ends so I can lift it out later for neater cutting, but that's optional. Smooth it out so the surface is flat.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it. Don't over bake these.
- Let cool a bit on a rack while you make the frosting. I like to frost these bars when they are still a little bit warm.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the sugar and cream. Bring the mixture up to a boil, whisking continuously.
- When it comes to a boil, take it off the heat and whisk in the sugar until you have a thick frosting. It will set up quickly, so pour it over the blondies and smooth out with an offset spatula before it hardens.
- Cut the blondies and enjoy!
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island