Zucchini Walnut Crumble Bars
The View From the Great Island
Zucchini Walnut Crumble Bars ~ think zucchini bread meets spiced shortbread bar, these easy breakfast bars are a delicious conversation piece!
- shortbread dough
- 1 cup (16 Tbsp) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped Walnuts
- 1½ packed cups shredded zucchini
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tso freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 9x9 square baking pan
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the salt, vanilla, and spices.
- Add in the flour, a cup at a time, and mix just until it is combined.
- Take about 2/3 of the dough and press it into the bottom of a 9x9 square baking pan. I like to line the pan with parchment paper with long ends so that I can lift it out after it cools...it makes cutting easier and prettier, but this is optional. Cover the whole bottom surface, using your hands to lightly pat the dough down. It helps to flour your hands.
- Put the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and wring out the moisture. Toss with the lemon juice, sugar, and spices.
- Spread the zucchini out over the bottom crust as evenly as possible.
- Take the rest of the dough and mix it with the chopped walnuts. Crumble it between your fingers over the zucchini, making an even layer of small crumbles. It's fine if some of the zucchini shows through.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the top is starting to turn light brown around the edges.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island