Vegan Chocolate Cake
The View From the Great Island
The Best Ever Vegan Chocolate Cake ~ this easy one bowl Depression era 'wacky cake' is made without butter or eggs, and yet it's rich, moist, and incredibly delicious!
- 1.5 cups flour (fluff up the flour first, scoop it and then level off)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- coconut frosting
- 3 tbsp thick coconut milk (skim the top off of a can of full fat coconut milk, or look for coconut cream)
- 3 cups (maybe more) confectioner's sugar
- sweetened shredded coconut for garnish
- Set oven to 350F
- Whisk the cake ingredients together and spread into an 8x8 baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes until the cake is risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it.
- Let the cake cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the sugar gradually into the coconut cream until it is of a spreadable consistency. You may want to add more of the cream, or more sugar as you go. You can add vanilla to the frosting, but I didn't.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cake and immediately top with the shredded coconut.