Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
The View From the Great Island
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler ~ it's one of the joys of the season, with juicy ruby red strawberries and rhubarb bubbling up around a flaky biscuit dough, what are you waiting for?
- 1 lb rhubarb
- 1 lb ripe strawberries
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp flour
- biscuit TOPPING
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 0.75 tsp baking powder
- 0.25 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp cold butter
- 0.33333333333333 cup yogurt
- bit of milk or cream if needed
- Set the oven to 425F
- Toss the fruit with the sugar and lemon juice and let sit for about half an hour. This will get the juices flowing.
- Stir in the flour and spread the fruit out into a 9" cast iron skillet or a square baking dish. Bake the fruit for 10-12 minutes. You should see a little bubbling beginning to happen.
- Meanwhile make the biscuit topping. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Pulse in the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Turn out into a bowl and stir in the yogurt, adding a little cream or milk if the mixture seems too dry. Mix just until the dough comes together loosely.
- Form into 6 equal mounds. Don't worry about getting the dough into smooth balls, it will be 'craggy' and lumpy. that's going to be the charm of your cobbler topping, and it means the biscuits will be light and fluffy. Sprinkle each mound of dough lightly with sugar.
- Place the six biscuits on top of the hot fruit, setting then apart so they don't touch.
- Bake for another 16-18 minutes until the dough is golden and cooked through. Cover with foil at the end if it is getting too brown.