Chocolate Pound Cake
The View From the Great Island
A decadent Chocolate Pound Cake topped with an even more decadent chocolate ganache ~ it's the ultimate chocolate lover's dessert!
- 0.5 cup unsalted butter,
- 0.75 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- wet ingredients
- 0.5 cup sour cream
- 0.25 cup milk
- dry ingredients
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- ganache topping
- 0.75 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Set oven to 325F
- Spray a standard 9x5 loaf pan and line it with a sheet of parchment paper, leaving the ends to hang long. This way you can life the frosted cake out for cleaner cutting.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla and espresso powder.
- Whisk together the sour cream and milk.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl alternately with the wet, beginning and ending with dry. Blend only until mixed, don't over beat.
- Turn the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread out evenly. Bake for about 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it. Check your cake on the early side to avoid over-cooking. Set aside to cool.
- To make the ganache topping, heat the cream to a simmer and remove from heat. Add the chocolate and let sit for a minute, then stir until everything is melted and glossy. Pour over the cooled cake and then let the ganache firm up in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- If you have used a parchment paper 'sling', gently pull the cake out of the pan to slice it.