Artichoke Focaccia with Rosemary
From a Chef's Kitchen
Artichoke Focaccia with Rosemary is easy to make and will rival any focaccia from an Italian baker. Great for dipping into a fruity extra-virgin olive oil!
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 package fast-acting yeast (also called rapid-rise)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more as needed
- 1 bag (12-ounce) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and patted dry of excess moisture
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- coarse sea salt
- good extra-virgin olive oil for dipping
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle the cornmeal over the parchment paper and set aside.
- Place 2 1/2 cups flour in a large mixing bowl. Make a well.
- Pour water and 2 tablespoons oil into well. Sprinkle yeast and salt over the water.
- Stir dough together with a spoon. (Dough will be ragged.)
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Add 1/4 cup flour.
- Knead dough for 6-8 minutes, adding very small amounts of flour as needed or until dough is smooth, soft and springs back from the touch.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil into the mixing bowl and place dough in bowl. Turn dough so that it's covered with oil.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm place to rise for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare artichoke combination: Combine artichoke hearts, rosemary, garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil and salt to taste in a bowl. Set aside.
- When the dough has doubled in size, cut the dough into four even pieces.
- On a floured surface, roll each piece into a 6 to 7-inch circle and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Create a few "dimples" with your finger.
- Sprinkle each circle evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- Place even amounts of the artichoke combination on each of the circles, gently pressing it into the dough.
- Cover with the towel and let rise again another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Serve, dipped in good extra-virgin olive oil or other seasoned olive oil.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen