Back to School Breakfast Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Breakfast Cookies are chocked full of fruits, nuts, seeds and oats --- they're a fun, nutritious way to start the day!
- wet ingredients
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dry ingredients
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 heaping cup of mixed chopped nuts, dried fruits, seeds, chocolate chips, etc.
- set oven to 350F
- Cream the shortening with the sugars until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until combined, but don't over beat.
- Fold in the fruits & nuts, etc, until evenly distributed.
- Scoop the dough out with a 1/4 cup measure and pack it in. Flip it out onto your baking sheet and flatten just slightly. Set the cookies 2 inches apart, and bake for 13 minutes until they are just turning golden. They might appear slightly underdone, but they will firm up as they cool.
- Cool on a rack.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island