The View From the Great Island
My Favorite Banana Blondies ~ these easy blondies are rich, dense, and fudgy, with a to-die-for caramel frosting!
- ½ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup well mashed banana (about 1 to 1 1/2 bananas)
- caramel icing
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cream, or milk
- 1 cup Powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- Set the oven to 350F
- Cream the butter and sugar together for several minutes until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the mashed banana, and then the flour and salt. Mix just until everything is well blended, don't over mix.
- Spread into an 9x9 square baking dish. I like to spray the dish with baking spray and also line it with parchment paper with long ends so I can lift it out to frost and cut it easily.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the center is set. I check with a toothpick.
- Let the cake cool most of the way before you make the frosting.
- To make the caramel frosting put the butter, brown sugar and milk or cream in a small saucepan and melt the butter, whisking all the time. Continue whisking until the mixture comes to a boil, then turn off the heat and add the sifted powdered sugar, whisking until completely smooth. You may need to add a little bit more powdered sugar if it seems very thin.
- Spread it immediately onto the cake, it will set up very quickly.