Banana Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Buttercream
The View From the Great Island
Banana Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Buttercream ~ an easy snack cake made with bananas and poppy seeds, generously topped with a lemon frosting ~ you can whip up this easy one bowl cake in no time.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 0.66666666666667 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 2-3 ripe bananas (mashed)
- 0.33333333333333 cup Poppy seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- lemon buttercream
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Lemon juiced (about 2 Tbsp)
- the tiniest drop of yellow food coloring (optional)
- Set oven to 350F Lightly spray a 9x9 square baking pan. I like to line it with parchment paper so I can lift the cake out after baking for easy frosting and cutting.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and sour cream together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, mashed banana, poppy seeds, and vanilla.
- Whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda together and add to the wet ingredients. Mix until just blended.
- Turn the batter out into the pan and smooth out evenly. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the top is just turning golden and the middle is set. A toothpick inserted in the center should be free of wet batter.
- Let cool on a rack completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting by beating the butter and sugar together with the lemon juice and food coloring, if using. Add a touch more juice if the frosting is too thick, or a little more sugar if too thin.
- I like to store the cake in the refrigerator, and it will keep for up to a week.