Blood Orange Pound Cake
The View From the Great Island
This Blood Orange Pound Cake has a moist and tender crumb and a gorgeous pink glaze thanks to some fresh squeezed blood orange juice!
- dry ingredients
- 1.5 cups flour
- 0.25 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- wet ingredients
- 0.125 cup blood orange juice
- 0.375 cup buttermilk
- zest of 3 oranges
- 0.5 tsp orange extract
- 0.5 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 stick () unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups confectioner's sugar
- blood orange juice to thin
- 0.25 tsp orange extract
- Set oven to 350F
- Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Measure the orange juice in a glass measuring cup and then fill to the 1/2 cup mark with buttermilk. Add the zest, extract and vanilla paste. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients along with the wet, to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry. Don't over mix.
- Turn batter into a buttered and floured loaf pan. I lined the pan with a piece of parchment paper to make it easier for me to lift it out.
- Bake for about 55 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out to a rack.
- When the cake is mostly cooled, glaze with the Blood Orange Glaze.
- To make the glaze, mix the sugar with enough of the juice to create a nice glaze consistency. Add in the extract, if using. Spread or drizzle on the cooled cake. If your glaze is too thin, you will lose a lot of it to 'run off'. I like to make it on the thick side and spread it with a knife or spreader.