Braided Milk Bread
Milk bun is a cross between a Challah and Brioche. It is lighter and smoother without being too rich. It is perfect to eat just as is or with butter or jam.
- 1 cups bread flour
- (1.25l) fish stock (You can skip adding wholewheat flour and use 2 cups of All purpose flour)
- (1.25l) fish stock
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- (1.25l) fish stock
- 1 tbsp Egg replacer whisked in 3tbsp water (or use 1 whole egg)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- as needed Poppy seeds, for sprinkling
- Combine all the ingredients (except for the poppy seeds) in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer. Mix and knead until a soft and slightly sticky dough forms, about 6 minutes on a stand mixer and 8 minutes with hand.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise for 45minutes to 1 hour or until the dough is doubled in volume.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Roll the dough into a long log -- it is best to roll from the middle outwards until the log is 30" long.
- Cut 10" off one end of the log set aside. Arrange the remaining log as an upside down 'U' on a lined baking tray.
- Lay the 10" length in a straight line down the middle of the 'U', with one end resting on top of the dough at the center of the curve.
- Now braid the three strips of dough loosely making sure that the dough has room to proof.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour,
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap and brush the dough with milk or beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired. Place the braid in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Reduce the oven to 400°F, open the door carefully and turn the tray. Bake for another 8 minutes, then reduce the heat again to 350°F. for the last 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before eatcing. This bread is best eaten as soon after baking as possible, but makes great toast the next day.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout