Broccoli Honeycrisp Slaw
The View From the Great Island
Broccoli Honeycrisp Slaw ~ shredded broccoli, crisp apples, currants, & toasted almonds combine with a creamy cider dressing in one heck of a summer salad.
- 4 cups shredded broccoli stalks (about 4 stalks)
- 1 cup broccoli floret tips (just slice the green buds off the ends of the florets
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 Honeycrisp apples
- lemon juice
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted in a pan with a little olive oil, over moderate heat until they turn golde
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp onion salt
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- Put the shredded broccoli and floret tips in a large bowl.
- Slice the cheeks off the apples, then slice them into thin slices, and then stack them and slice into fine matchsticks. Toss the apples well with lemon juice to prevent any browning. Add them to the bowl along with the almonds and currants.
- Whisk together the dressing and taste to adjust any of the ingredients. I added a bit more salt and celery seed. If you like a really sweet dressing, add a bit more sugar.
- Toss the slaw with the dressing, making sure to get everything evenly coated. Serve or cover and chill. Slaw can be made up to a day in advance.