Beef Broccoli Noodle Bowls
The View From the Great Island
Beef and Broccoli Noodle Bowls ~ these lightning fast stir fry bowls are so vibrant and full of flavor you'd never guess they're a 30-minute meal!
- 1 lb top sirloin steak
- 1 lb Broccoli
- 2 bunches green onions, about 10 (scallions)
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts (either whole or slicedI (like to slice them myself))
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (possibly a little more)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1½ cups beef broth
- ½ cup sherry
- 6 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Sriracha or chili sauce (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 9½ oz package of udon or ramen noodles
- Put the steak in the freezer for an hour so it will be easier to slice very thinly.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Trim the ends of the stems from the broccoli. Cut it into bite sized pieces. I chop the stems, too. Trim and slice the green onions into 1 inch pieces, white and green parts.
- Slice the cold steak into 1/8 inch slices, cutting against the grain.
- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a wok or large saute pan over high heat. When the oil is very hot, brown the beef, working in batches. I let the first side cook, undisturbed, for about a minute, then flip and cook just until there is no more pink. That way you'll get some nice color for extra flavor. Note: don't do all the meat at once, or it won't brown. Add more oil as needed. Remove the beef to a plate.
- In the same pan heat the remaining oil and stir fry the broccoli for about 5 minutes until it is bright green and crisp tender. I will sometimes add a splash of water and cover the wok for a minute or so to get the broccoli a little more tender. Stir in the green onions and remove all to a plate.
- Whisk the sauce well, and add to the same pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until it darkens and turns glossy and thick.
- Add the meat and veggies back into the sauce and combine well. Heat everything through.
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Divide the noodles between 4 bowls. Top with the stir fry, and garnish with sesame seeds.