Spicy Mandarin Soba Noodles
The View From the Great Island
Spicy Mandarin Orange Soba Noodles ~ healthy Japanese buckwheat noodles in a spicy orange sauce are low calorie, full of protein, and packed with flavor!
- 6 oz soba noodles
- 0.66666666666667 cup fresh mandarin orange juice
- 0.25 cup soy sauce
- 0.25 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp hot chili paste
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 4 scallions
- sesame seeds for garnish
- orange peel for garnish
- Cook the noodles in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or until just tender. Don't over cook them. Rise them in plenty of cold water to cool them down, then drain well and set aside.
- Put the orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil gently for about 15 minutes or until it is thickened and almost syrupy.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and hot chili sauce. Blend well and taste the sauce to adjust the seasonings. You should have about 2/3 cup sauce.
- Toss with the noodles and scallions.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a twist of orange zest.