Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Taleggio
From a Chef's Kitchen
Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Taleggio is an elegant, rich and creamy soup that's perfect to serve this fall and winter!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions ( coarsely chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (coarsely chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (coarsely chopped)
- 8 cloves garlic ( coarsely chopped)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large butternut squash (4 to 4 1/2 pounds) (peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- ½ pound Taleggio cheese ( rind removed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces )
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook briefly until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and cubed squash. Cover slightly and cook over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until the squash and other vegetables are very tender.
- Add the fresh thyme, Taleggio and heavy cream. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add a pinch of cayenne if desired. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs if desired.