Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Taleggio
From a Chef's Kitchen
Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Taleggio is an elegant, rich and creamy soup that's perfect to serve this fall and winter!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large butternut squash (4 to 4 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- 0.5 pound Taleggio cheese, rind removed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook briefly until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and cubed squash. Cover slightly and cook over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until the squash and other vegetables are very tender.
- Add the fresh thyme, Taleggio and heavy cream. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add a pinch of cayenne if desired. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs if desired.