Soupy Spanish Lentils with Chorizo and Manchego Toast
From a Chef's Kitchen
Soupy Spanish Lentils with Chorizo and Manchego Toast - Braised lentils with spicy chorizo sausage kicked up with red wine and Spanish spices and served with crusty bread topped with melted Manchego cheese is perfect winter comfort food!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 pound fresh chorizo sausage (approximately 3 large links)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jar (12-ounce) roasted red bell peppers in olive oil, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 loaf whole-grain rustic bread (cut into 1-inch slices)
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1½ to 2 cups grated "young" Manchego cheese
- LENTILS: Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or deep saute pan. Place sausages in the pan and cook 6 to 7 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate. (Sausages will not be cooked all the way through at this point.)
- Place onion in the hot fat. Reduce heat to medium and cook 7 to 8 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the celery and cook 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Add the garlic, stir until fragrant. Add the chopped roasted red bell pepper, the tomato paste, the wine and cook 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the lentils, smoked paprika and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Slice chorizo into 1/4 to 1/3-inch slices. Add to the pan with the lentils.
- Reduce heat, cover slightly and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, adding additional chicken broth as needed to maintain a "soupy" consistency. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper. Let rest while making the toast.
- TOAST: Preheat broiler on high. Combine softened butter and garlic. Spread over the slices of bread then top with grated cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet then place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or until hot and bubbly.