Cardamom Coffee Cake Muffins
The View From the Great Island
Cardamom Coffee Cake is one of my all-time favourite things ever. It won’t disappoint you!
- ½ lb unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbs cardamom
- 1 cup sour cream or buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup buttermilk)
- for the streusel
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
- set oven to 350F
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray, or use muffin liners.
- Mix the streusel in a small bowl and set aside. Make sure your walnuts are finely chopped, and that you get the lumps of brown sugar broken down.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom in another small bowl and set aside.
- Measure out the sour cream or buttermilk, or mix the two if you are using both, and set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Blend in the vanilla.
- Fold the flour into the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the sour cream/buttermilk. Just stir enough to blend, don't beat or over mix.
- Spoon a small scoop of batter into the bottom of 12 muffin cups. Top with a teaspoon or so of streusel mix. Scoop the remaining batter on top and then top with another teaspoon of streusel, use up all the streusel.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes before removing them from the pan to a rack.