Cauliflower Kofta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
Indian flavored Cauliflower kofta with Creamy Tomato Sauce -- serve them as side dish for your holiday parties and game nights.
- 2 cups Cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small Potato, boiled and mashed
- 1 small Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger (finely grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 0.25 tsp Turmeric
- 0.25 tsp Red Chili powder (adjust as per taste preference)
- 0.25 tsp ground cumin
- 0.25 tsp ground coriander
- 2~3 tbsp Chickpea flour (besan) or All purpose flour
- to taste Salt
- 3 tbsp Cilantro,
- 1 small Onion, very finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree (or grind 2~3 tomatoes)
- 0.5 tsp ginger (finely grated)
- 1 garlic clove (finely minced)
- 0.25 tsp curry powder (adjust as per taste preference)
- 0.125 tsp Turmeric
- 0.125 tsp Red Chili powder (adjust as per taste preference)
- 1~2 tbsp heavy cream
- to taste Salt
- Steam or microwave the cauliflower until tender, about 3~5 minutes. Lightly mash and set aside.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add onion, ginger and garlic; cook till the onions are translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Next add the mashed cauliflower and mashed potato. Stir in turmeric, red chili powder, ground cumin, coriander and salt. Mix well and cook for 2~3 minutes. Turn off the heat and cool slightly.
- Coarsely grind the chickpeas into a coarse paste. Remove into a mixing bowl and add the cauliflower mixer, chopped cilantro and adjust the seasoning. Add the chickpea flour (or flour) and mix well. Try to form a ball with the mixture, if it does not come together add a little more flour.
- Take 1 tbsp of mixture and make koftas.
- Koftas can be baked in a preheated 400°F oven (spray them with cooking spray) or they can be deep fried. I fried them in a aebleskiver (appe) pan for a low fat option. Take them out onto paper towel lined plate. Serve Warm with the creamy tomato sauce.
- Heat 2tsp oil, add onion, ginger, garlic and cook for 4~5 minutes. Add the tomato puree, cover and cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, red chili powder and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt.
- Stir in heavy cream and let the sauce heat through, about 1~2 minutes.