Cauliflower and Sweet Potatoes in Roasted Red Pepper Mole
From a Chef's Kitchen
Cauliflower and Sweet Potatoes in Roasted Red Pepper Mole is a lively Mexican-inspired vegetarian dish with complex flavors! You won't miss the meat!
- 3 large red bell peppers, halved and seeded -OR- 1 jar (16-ounce) roasted red bell peppers in water, d
- olive oil
- 1 large head cauliflower
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano,
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon dried thyme
- 0.33333333333333 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 0.25 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- brown rice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil. Rub red bell peppers with olive oil. Place in the oven and roast for 30-45 minutes or until blackened and blistered. Immediately cover with aluminum foil or baking sheet. Let stand 20 minutes. Peel the peppers and transfer to a food processor or blender. Alternately, drain the jar of peppers and place in a food processor or blender.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees. Toss cauliflower with olive oil and season liberally with salt and black pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until slightly tender and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Combine cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, cayenne and thyme in a dry, non-stick skillet. Heat over medium-high heat for 30-45 seconds, stirring often until fragrant, being careful not to burn the spices. Remove from heat and transfer to food processor along with roasted red pepper.
- Place sunflower seeds or almonds in the same non-stick skillet, reduce heat to medium and toast until lightly browned in places, 2-3 minutes. Gently toss the almonds every 30 seconds or so to toast more evenly. Transfer to food processor, add garlic and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring often until softened. Add sweet potatoes, broth and red pepper mole. Bring to a simmer and cook 8-10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add cauliflower and cilantro and heat through. Adjust seasoning with salt, black pepper and cayenne if desired. Garnish with cilantro springs and sprinkle with sunflower seeds if desired. Serve immediately with brown rice.